Experience shows that taking time to prepare your income property increases desirability, provides a marketing “edge” and results in shorter market time while assuring the highest return.
BEFORE PROSPECTS DO A WALK THROUGH
- Turn on all inside lights, even during the day. In winter, lamp light is especially nice.
- At night, turn on outside lights.
- Turn on soft music.
- Keep heat at 68–72 degrees.
- Keep pets in a separate area; change litter boxes daily.
- Put money, prescription drugs, and other valuables away and out of sight.
- Keep draperies and shades open.
- Open all doors inside the home, except closets.
DURING A WALK THROUGH
- A potential tenant will likely spend more time previewing your property and asking questions if you’re not there.
- Don’t precede or follow the prospective tenant through your property.
- Let the property manager show and market your property.